Sunday, August 10, 2008

extrinsic and intrinsic motivation. Which do you think is predominantly used in Singapore? What do you think are the impacts on the Singapore society

From my point of view, I think Singapore is predominated motivated by extrinsic motivation. Based on my own understanding and interpretation, extrinsic motivation means needing someone to kick my butt in order for me to do something and intrinsic motivation means I initiated my own actions, without any incentive in doing so. Thus, from my own definitions, I can derive confidently that Singapore is extrinsically motivated! This is very evident in us being labeled as a garden city, being lauded for our low crime rates and also our smooth traffic. Oh and of course the success of our education!
Our low crime rates are due to the harsh and no-nonsense judiciary. Locals dare not mess around with the law due to the hefty punishments for all crimes, even minor ones. Likewise, foreigners dare not commit any crimes in Singapore too after realizing Singapore tough stance against crimes in the case of Australia’s Nguyen and US’s Michael Faye.
Also, Singaporeans do not litter not because they want to keep the streets clean but because they are aware of the hefty fines facing them. Imagine paying a fine of fifty bucks for a cigarette butt? The fifty bucks can buy the offender another four packs of cigarettes!
Students work hard in their studies and score some tremendous and astonishing results. But, the driving force to do well is always materialistic stuffs such as a new MP3 or the latest Sony game.
Thus I think Singapore is extrinsically motivated and this is detrimental as Singaporeans are not doing what they are doing because they understand the rationale behind it, but are doing it for the rewards or for not being punished. Students do not comprehend the importance of an education and are studying for the sake of it.

No comments: